Friday 30 November 2007

Chemical World

Standing in the chemists waiting for my prescription, it dawns on me how utterly shite I feel. It’s lunchtime - I left work early, feeling dreadful and guilty for breathing my germs over everyone – and the chemist is busy, a queue of people, mainly old, waiting for their medicines. Everyone looks miserable, and yes, it is a cold, grey, wet November day, but I am struck by their collective melancholy just the same. As I near the counter, I see packets of Warfarin and Diazepam, a cluster of bottles and pills over which an elderly lady argues bad-temperedly with the red-faced pharmacist, and my own antibiotics. It dawns on me that I am a lot less ill, and a lot less miserable than most of the assembled crowd, and that I will recover a lot more quickly. A wave of gratitude sweeps over me. Inwardly, I smile - the first of the day.

4 comments:

David said...

As ever, your writing hits the spot in so many ways. Thank you for sharing.

Glamourpuss said...

David
You are kind, sir. Thank you.

Puss

David said...

No, not kind, just accurate.

Penny Pincher said...

Ah ha - Rat poison and sleeping pills. Hope you're feeling better now.