Thursday 15 November 2007

Wish You Were Here

It’s a clear, bright day. Wearing my new red hat, I walk to the bakery with a colleague. It feels a little naughty because it isn’t yet lunchtime – like we’re truanting or something – but the sun is shining and despite the biting cold, my heart sings as we pass the park, foliage aflame, railings black and shiny.

At the bakery, I am dazzled by the sheer deliciousness of choice; croissants, scones, brownies, cakes, muffins, cheesecake and ‘Italian kisses’. I ooh and aah over the trays and the woman behind the counter laughs at me. She tells me the kisses are delicious and then offers me one to try. It is sweet, fragrant with lemon oil, unctuous with ground almonds and delicious. But I am poor, and chubby, and the cinnamon buns have already stolen my heart.

We walk back to the office, a blueberry muffin and a cinnamon bun nestled in my handbag, and these stolen minutes seem precious.

6 comments:

Calamity Jane said...

Those kisses sound yummy - made with some of my favourite flavours - almonds and lemons.

Penny Pincher said...

It all sounds perfect and mouth watering ....

David said...

Stolen minutes are often the best.

Katherine said...

Ms. Glamourpuss,

I love coming to this blog and reading these “slices of life”. Your voice, both mesmerising & crisp, always soothes me.

I'm with you all the way on the cinnamon bun & blueberry muffin.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

I'm with August. I love your delicious, um, morsels. I also love leaving the office mid-morning or mid-afternoon, on an "errand," to catch a moment of sanity.

Gucci Muse said...

Reading this Puss, made me remember when I lived in South Kensington-my memory now faded, but I loved a small and intimate bakery, on a rounded corner, all a-aglow with a plethora of tasties that made me want to grab them all and run. Alas, I did not- I usually was there to fetch some sort of tiny individual fruit tart, the kind with a creamy custard with glistening fruit-usually strawberry-for a "gift" for my then love-to tote back to the house in which we lived on Queens Gate.