Sunday 23 December 2007

Supermarket Sweep

After a brisk walk, I step into the bight lights of the supermarket and am confronted with chaos. There are people everywhere, most with huge trolleys full of orange shopping bags, or groceries waiting to be put into orange shopping bags. Each checkout sports a line of shoppers who appear to believe there are food shortages ahead, a boy or girl scout to assist with packing, and a harried-looking till operator young enough to still believe in Santa.

In the face of all this bustle, I am calm and cheerful, cruising the aisles with my basket and Lee Morgan’s Sidewinder. Time after time, I look for an item and find there’s only one left on the shelf, one for me. And between the harried families with their heavy, clumsy monster shops, I glide, patient and smiling, glad to be free of the responsibilities of Christmas. It seems grotesque and comedic, this mad dash to gluttony, but I am light as an angel because I am alone.

2 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

First, Merry Christmas to you Puss. I hope it will be a wonderful day for you.

Reading this made me remember my shopping days at Sainsburys in London. So interesting to see trolley for shopping cart, till operator for cashier and having a boy/girl scout to pack instead of bagger who bags.

I was by myself today, as you. I shopped alone. I was with heavy heart and envy your lightness like an Angel and free from the responsibilities of Christmas.

I never thought I would feel that way, but I do now. How nice to be free.

Katherine said...

I must say, that 'mad dash to gluttony' is one thing I don't miss about NY.

I like my simple ideas about the meaning of Christmas, though I'll never scorn a vintage pearl necklace.