Thursday 10 January 2008

Entomology

In my new, blue, sparkly shoes, I’m making a cup of tea in the office kitchen. One of my colleagues admires them, then points out that they are the same colour as bluebottles. Laughing, I respond that, no, they’re not; bluebottles are more turquoise-blue, whilst my shoes are definitely purply-blue. He concedes the point and we return to our desks. An hour or so later, I receive an illustrated email, telling me “You're right you know, your shoes are certainly more purple than the common British Bluebottle (Calliphora vicini) but if you look at the Black Blowfly found on farms in Manitoba...”

3 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

The shoes are definitely more attractive than the fly.

Katherine said...

Love the shoes. And the Black Blowfly. And the colleague.

August

MrsG said...

Mmm... Blowfly Shoes... I noticed them the day we met, and felt a twinge of excitement to realise that THESE are the shoes you were talking about!