Sunday 10 February 2008

Overheard VII

On a Saturday afternoon, Waitrose supermarket in Sevenoaks is the apex of comfortable, middle-class smugness. The mummies are yummy, the children are all called 'Olivia' and 'Henry', and in a few years time, the daddies, tired of their city jobs and shabby-chic, domestic goddesses, will wear a sprinkling of sugar as they embark upon extra-marital affairs. I'm wandering the aisles, my basket full of chocolate and carbohydrates to satisfy the pre-menstrual cravings (lavender or geranium cupcake anyone?), when I overhear the following exchange.

Plummy, Yummy Mummy: 'Would you like a yoghurt, darling, with honey? Greek yoghurt with honey?'

Small Girl in Pink Coat: 'I want... I want... I want... chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate... pudding. I want chocolate pudding.'

I can't help myself, I laugh out loud - as much at the little girl's eminently sensible request as at the look of disappointed disapproval on Plummy, Yummy Mummy's face.

4 comments:

Shambhu said...

I find it remotely painful to be offered cupcakes when I can't actually accept, and shove said cupcake into my face. Thank you anyway.

Gucci Muse said...

From the sound of it, the children and their fathers of Sevenoaks both want sweets that are not provided by Mom.

WendyB said...

LOL.

MrsG said...

I'm with Olivia on this one - I...want...chocolate....

(As if yoghurt would EVER compensate!)