Wednesday 13 February 2008

Peachblossom Island

As a child, I read the same books over and over again. This had less to do with OCD and more to do with poverty. Books were expensive, and precious, and scarce. Most of my books came from jumble sales, so my library was eclectic and old fashioned. Books from the local library and the school library were quickly devoured, so being a prodigious reader, I frequently had to return to my own books for something to read.

On my way home from work, I find myself remembering one of those well-thumbed volumes. The title ‘Fattypuffs and Thinnifers’, the front cover, and the characteristics of the aforementioned peoples are all that remains in my memory. So when I get home, I google the title and am delighted to find a Wikipedia entry that brings it all back, and that one can still buy the book.

2 comments:

Shambhu said...

Good for you. I assume the book should be arriving at your home soon.

Gucci Muse said...

Yes, as a child, I was a prolific reader-that as an adult, it has aided me in my profession to devour and retain large amounts of information rather quickly, and also, to have gotten through all that "edumucation".

Regular trips the library soon, as for you, where expended; we also had Scholastic Books to order from every month at school, and the small fortune my parents spent on the books for all their children, soon was put to an end due to the amounts of books lying around, having already been read.

This was precipitated by my parents not permitting a television to be turned on in our house for over one year. We would see the console in the living room turned off and in the beginning would try to sneak it on; but eventually our parents decision to instill in us a deep love for reading soon made us forget the television and left us free to drown ourselves in the many worlds those books brought us.

But also as we grew, we dreaded the awful tag sales and flea markets my mother so adored, and if we found old piles of books we could buy to read, it made the drudgery of those Saturdays more bearable.

I myself do love a well worn book; there is something about it that lends comfort. So if your jumble sales are the equivalent of our tag sales, then your eclectic and old fashioned library must have been something!