Tuesday 19 February 2008

Pedestrian

A thick frost graces the pavements as I walk home from the station, which renders my steps slippery. It is late and the streets are deserted. With hands thrust deeply in coat pockets, I wait for the lights to change so I can cross the road. Looking up, I see a large fox on the opposite pavement. He, too, waits for the lights, and when amber comes, then red, we both start walking diagonally across the road. I pass the funeral directors’, he disappears into the church yard, safe, smart, and bold as brass.

4 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

Two foxes at the intersection "showdown"- do you think he sized you up the same as you did he?

I would have been thinking, oh geez this thing is going to come after me and bite me!

Shambhu said...

gucci muse is clever. I love to catch glimpes of fox, weasels, and even skunks from a safe distance.

Katherine said...

ha! I was thinking the same as Gucci Muse, but more like 'Two Conspiring Foxes'.


August

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Whilst you were thinking of lovely lines of prose, he was probably sizing your tender sweetness as a possible ... next meal :-)

I love your blog. It's full of nicely observed and written stories.

I'll be back!