Thursday 7 February 2008

Spider

He kisses me on the cheek and I walk with him, out to the front of the house where the Ferrari is parked. Three young men surround the shiny, red vehicle, and use their mobile 'phones to take photographs of one another standing in front of it. At our approach, they start, look guilty, caught out, and begin to apologise, but my friend takes it all in his stride and assures them there’s no problem. He opens the passenger door for me, and I slide into the deep, fragrant leather upholstery, absorbing the stillness of great expense. He sits in the driver’s seat, and starts the car. The huge engine roars into life and the young men look on, deeply impressed. With a quiet hum the roof retreats and the sun shines down on us as we purr through the village – the beast tame for now.

3 comments:

Shambhu said...

I have an opinion about men who graciously sport their throbbing red ferraris whilst boys look on in awe, but it's rude, and I'll keep it to myself.

Gucci Muse said...

Sounds very seductive for you.

Glamourpuss said...

Shambhu
I believe I shared your opinion once, and then I travelled in a Ferrari and totally understood the appeal - they are extraordinary.

Puss