Tuesday 25 March 2008

Ability

Driving home through hosts of sunny daffodils, I smile. My newest tutee is bright, confident, and has a place at Cambridge. He attends one of the country's finest public schools and is set to achieve the highest grade at A Level. Despite this, he wants six to eight hours of tuition a week throughout the Easter holidays. I feel torn between taking the money and telling him I don't think he needs that much extra help, but I go along to our first session with an open mind. 

As the lesson progresses, I see clearly how I can help him. By the end of the lesson, so does he. I tell him straight that I can't give him his six to eight hours, and that I don't want to waste my time or his money. He agrees. We reach a compromise. As I leave, I see respect in his face, and hope. For my part, I feel great pleasure at the chance to teach someone so bright, and that my own ability remains undiminished. We will do good work.

6 comments:

The Geezers said...

Teaching a student who is eager and able to learn is one of the greatest joys there is.

You will do good work, without question.

Gucci Muse said...

Honesty is wonderful and much appreciated.

That is the respect he shows you and you to he.

Katherine said...

Your honesty is certainly deserving of respect.

I can tell you're a great teacher.

August

Calamity Jane said...

I'm agog to know what he needed

Matthew Mientka said...

Are you teaching this nerd how to have sex?

God speed, Puss.

Glamourpuss said...

CJ
Essay and exam technique. And an alternative point of view.

Matty
Hamlet and Paradise Lost, so technically, yes.

Puss