Monday 3 March 2008

Beer Talking

My friend is at the bar. As I wait for her to return, a man taps me on the shoulder. ‘Excuse me. Sorry. Excuse me. Sorry to bother you, but is that my pint?’ He points at a pint of lager on our table and wobbles.

‘Yes, I believe it is.’ I reply smiling and pushing the glass towards him, 'Here you go.'

‘Thank you.’ He says, ‘Sorry. You could’ve had that.’

‘Ah, not for me,’ I say, ‘I’m a Guinness girl.’ And I lift the empty pint glass and show him its Guinnessy residue.

‘I’m not.’ He replies, ‘I’m a beer hoo-er.’

We laugh heartily at this, me repeating his pronunciation – a beer hoo-er. The banter continues and he asks my name, then gets it wrong all evening, calling me all manner of names, each starting with the same letter as my own, but not my own. As he staggers off home at closing time, we shake hands and I’m told ‘You’re alright, you. You're a good girl.’

5 comments:

The Geezers said...

Lovely little vignette.

Though I wonder if "good girl" is entirely accurate.

Gucci Muse said...

Aw, that is so sweet- and Guiness Girl?! Wow.

An Ex BF I had, fell in love with Old Peculiar while we were visiting York-ew, could not get used to that.

Anyway, I never did get used to the warm brew or the dark.

I myself love an icy cold Coors Light-yeah, I know what they say, more like water- but it is fine for me!

Katherine said...

I don't know how you've made beer talk so moving, but you have. I love this little polaroid.

August

Bert & Flo Handmade said...

I used to be a Guinness Girl until for some reason I drank a pint straight down through a straw. The resulting hangover was sufficient to put me off the black stuff for life :-(

Glamourpuss said...

Mercurious
You're quite right - I'm a complete minx at the best of times.

Muse
I like my Guinness Extra Cold. And yes, he was a real sweetie.

August
Thank you, lovely one. It was a jolly evening, one that reminded me I can be good fun when I try.

Minxy
Blech. Yes, I think that would put me off, too.

Puss