Friday 14 March 2008

Handbag

Wiping the rain from my beautiful handbag with a paper napkin, I try to conceal my tears. It’s all been too much, and sitting there, outmaneuvered at the train station, with both my parents, I just can’t deal with any more.

‘What an exquisite handbag. It’s stunning. Just beautiful.’ Says a woman at the next table.

I look up surprised. ‘Thank you.’ I say, smiling a watery smile. ‘It’s my pride and joy.’

‘It’s just lovely – so unusual.’ She continues.

‘She has good taste, my daughter,’ interrupts my father, ‘She inherited it from her parents.’

‘You don’t inherit good taste,’ replies the woman, calmly but firmly, ‘You’re born with it. It’s inherent and particular to the self.’

I look at her and she smiles kindly at me. She understands, understands how difficult it is, how difficult he is. And for a moment, I don’t feel quite so alone.

13 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

Now I want to SEE your pocket book! Post a photo, please!

I hope you don't think I am running opposition to you, but I see your father's remarks in a different light.

He is proud of you-proud the lady complimented you.

How were you outmaneuvered? Was it because your parents wanted to go wtih you to the train? Could it be because they are trying to strengthen the relationship with you, showing they care? Just a thought.

I just have to see that pocket book! It sounds gorgeous.

Katherine said...

After reading your last Pole Affair post, this brings a smile. Sometimes all it takes is one instance of being seen clearly.

Was she complimenting that exquisite yellow handbag? Let me guess, you have another one equally beautiful & unusual. . .

August

Glamourpuss said...

Muse
Granted. Although it's not a great photo.

August
Yes, indeed, the yellow handbag - sadly I'm not wealthy enough to own two fabulous handbags.

Puss

The Geezers said...

You have a knack for knowing how to leave things unsaid.

Great piece, as always.

Gucci Muse said...

It is so gorgeous! Never have seen anything like it before-lucky Puss.

david santos said...

Excellent posting, thank you.
have a good day.

Katherine said...

Ah, there it is!

It's as coquettish as I remember.

August

Calamity Jane said...

Looks vintage? Is it? Who made it?

Glamourpuss said...

Janey
It's by Liberty - last season. It came in black and red principally, but they made a few yellow ones for eccentrics like me.

Puss

Unknown said...

Oooh I'm a handbag-aholic, shipped 38 with me to the USA...LOL!

That is one cute purse

Unknown said...

BTW - would you mind if I added this blog to my blogroll? It's a little bit of my 'old' life!

Glamourpuss said...

Sarah
How sweet of you to ask - I'd be most flattered to be added to your blogroll.

Puss

Miss Cavendish said...

I adore Liberty's newish line of bags. This is a truly lovely one.