Saturday 31 May 2008

Delicately Done

It is my last lesson with my favourite tutee – until the autumn at least. As I make my goodbyes for the final time, wishing her luck in her exams, her mother asks me if I will do her a favour. Surprised, I say yes, of course I will do my best, and she hands me the stunning pink orchid I admired a week or two ago. Its lush leaves and brilliantly-veined blooms seduce me while she requests I look after the plant over the summer, as they are returning to Hong Kong, and she would hate to have to throw it away. I assure her I will do my best to return a healthy plant in the autumn but she cuts me off, saying no, no need to return it. Ah, I understand; I am being given a gift in the most gentle fashion. I admire her delicate manners as much as I admire the beautiful pot plant, and feel blessed to know such a family of such fine sensibilities.

3 comments:

Laura said...

That was a lovely thought.

One of my friends bought me a pink orchid for my Christmas. It is one of the best gifts I have ever received.

The CEO said...

How wonderful that you actually know someone like this. They make all the difference.

The Geezers said...

Here's hoping you get to continue the tutorship next autumn.

Teachers aren't treated nearly this well in the States--not even in private schools. More's the pity.