Thursday 15 May 2008

Rainbow

An old couple make their way across Victoria bus station. They are both slow and stopped and he holds her arm protectively. She’s wearing a yellow coat with big, black, shiny buttons, an emerald green skirt, a furry, leopard-print hat, black tights and blue and white Nike trainers. She carries a plastic bag that matches the bright blue sky. In complete contrast, he wears a grey hat, a grey anorak, grey trousers and grey shoes, and I think to myself that she must have got the colour allowance for the both of them.

3 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

eh, lost the comment, and with the word verification, it takes longer.

When I read this, it reminded me of Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller- but the opposition draw did not last very long.

The CEO said...

The alternative of not getting old doesn't guarantee better color coordination.

Ann ODyne said...

opposites attract.

one of my favourite things is seeing old couples holding hands.
I like to think
(because my husband of 20 years ran off with a home-wrecking slag)
they have been married 60 years,
but I now realise that they could also be adulterers *sigh* another dream smashed.