Tuesday 10 June 2008

Protest

The circus is in town; there are posters everywhere and flyers come through the letterbox announcing the ‘number 1 circus with animals’ is here for one week only. Not agreeing with the humiliation of lions, tigers and elephants for human pleasure, I do not attend and throw the flyers away.

Then, ascending the hill after work the other evening, I see a group of young girls in school uniforms coming towards me. They carry placards and are clearly excited, milling around each other as they wait to cross the road. As I pass them, I see what’s written on the placards; ‘Animals Don’t Belong in Circuses!’ I agree, and am touched by their youthful conviction, for none of them look old enough to attend secondary school. I send them supportive vibes, and hope their protest is successful.

2 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

I don't enjoy circuses so much, but they, for me, are Americana and without them, it would not be the same. I have fond memories as a child attending fairs and circuses-I remember them most magically.

The CEO said...

I loathe circuses, and haven't been to one since I was six, and taken to one by my mother.