Tuesday 10 June 2008

Triumph

The Powers That Be have placed netting across the inside of the station concourse roof to prevent pigeons nesting in it. It’s a glorious Monday morning, too nice to be commuting to work, and I am groggy from a poor night’s sleep. Waiting for my train to arrive, a sparrow flits down onto the platform in front of, hops about, then flies up, pausing momentarily to aim his little, brown body accurately through the holes in the netting where his nest lies. Once again, nature thwarts man’s attempts at containment. I smile; this is as it should be.

4 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

I agree about the pigeons-nasty, dirty things-but the sparrows, they are something else.

The Geezers said...

I have the same response when I see concrete cracked by the force of green growing things.

Exactly as it should be.

The CEO said...

Progress is our most expensive product.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

and the sparrow the sacrament of flight of now of passing of lightness of freedom