Tuesday 16 September 2008

Explanation

Just under four weeks ago, I was diagnosed as suffering type two bipolar mood disorder. The news shocked me, distressed me, and confused me. Since then, life has been a process of piecing together the shattered fragments of my identity, and this blog was one of the casualties of that process. The frame of mind I adopt when writing these posts encompasses many of the symptoms of hypomania, and as I struggled to reconcile myself to being bipolar, adopting that frame of mind seemed perverse.

However, I have come to realise that bipolar or not, I am still me, and my world view may be tainted with madness but it is still a view, still valid, and so fearfully, I will continue.

Apologies for my absence, sincere thanks for enquiries regarding it.

4 comments:

Steve Malley said...

Besides, not *every* good mood can be hypomania, can it?

I can imagine it'd be tough to tell sometimes, though...

David said...

You are still you and your writing is still wonderful.

The Geezers said...

Good luck with whatever form of treatment you choose.

Bipolar has affected my own family, and I know it's something to pay attention to.

I also know its quite manageable, and that you stand a very good chance of finding that your life will be better than ever.

Treating your bipolar does not mean you'll be sacrificing your creativity. Far from it.

Eloise said...

I'm a stranger and it's none of my business, but your writing doesn't seem tainted, it seems luminous and beautiful, and I'm very glad you share these little slices of life. Good luck and good wishes x