Thursday 26 February 2009

Miaow

A grumpy strawberry blonde flumps down in the train seat opposite and begins her morning maquillage. First out of the cat-covered make-up bag is a small pot of green sludge and a cat-shaped compact mirror. The green sludge is dabbed onto rosy cheeks and followed by foundation, concealer, eyeliner and frightening blue eyeshadow. To be honest, when she's finished she doesn't look that much better and her hair needs a brush, but she's done, puts the make-up bag away and takes out an i-pod Shuffle in a small plastic case with a pink cat on it. I'm sensing a theme here and when we all get up to alight at London Bridge, I notice the pewter cat brooch on her coat and the cat-covered shopping bag among the three she carries. The realisation dawns on me; she's a nascent dotty cat lady, walking the fine line between eccentricity and obsession.

2 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

I can't see the love affair people have with their pets.

The Pensive Poet said...

Somehow this strikes me as so sweet. Somewhere after elementary school I lost favorites, but this makes me wish I had a favorite. I guess it's not too late. I so love eccentric people who feel free to just be who they are with no apologies. I aspire to be eccentric some day. One thing I admire about you is that you seem to feel comfortable in your own skin. : )