Monday 11 May 2009

Memory

I am on my best behaviour, grateful to him for rescuing me, mindful that we are meeting on Sunday - at my request - to discuss ending things for good. We climb into bed and lie stiffly beside one another. He turns to me, pulls me towards him and asks me to kiss him. I have my reservations but I still say 'yes' and the past and the horror melt away at the first touch of his lips. As his kisses deepen, he pulls me closer, holds me tighter, drags me back to the certain knowledge I have tried so hard to talk myself out of; he loves me. And I love him right back, for all the good it does either of us.

2 comments:

Gucci Muse said...

It is just a slice of your life. You will make the break when ready-or better yet-when you meet someone else who is all the better. The closeness of one who will "do" is sometimes more alluring than no one at all, no?

Steve Malley said...

At the risk of quoting an old pop song, sometimes love ain't enough.